As the only one in my family who eats gluten-free, sometimes I have to fend for myself.
I’m not big on forcing people to prepare food a certain way just for me, so I tend to eat in advance, or if I’m at my in-laws’ house, I make my own meal.
On Sunday, my in-laws decided to make Italian sub sandwiches for the Packers-Giants Wildcard playoff game. Thankfully it was easy for me to make a gluten-free version for myself using most of the same ingredients. Almost any sandwich or burger can be made into a delicious salad, which was what I did. A salad version of your favorite sandwich is also a great option if you’re eating low carb.
I know this recipe is ridiculously basic, but I wanted to show that you don’t always have to make huge adjustments to eat gluten-free.
Italian sub salad
- Chopped lettuce – I used half a head of romaine
- 4 slices Genoa salami, chopped
- 4 slices deli ham, chopped
- Chopped onions
- Diced grape or cherry tomatoes
- Chopped mini sweet peppers or hot pepper rings
- 2 tablespoons shredded mozzarella
- 2-3 tablespoons Italian dressing
Mix everything together in a big bowl! That’s it.